Surgery was a success. They found some things that didn't show up on the MRI so he was happy that they got in there and took care of the problem. the herniation had vaginated onto the nerves. (doctor's words, not mine). They fused the two levels, put in the titanium plates, scraped out the herniated discs. I stayed overnight at UVRMC. The nurses were great. I felt like I ran them around doing errands for me. They never complained that I was asking too much. This picture was taken just after I got out of surgery. (gotta love all the iodine on my face). I didn't get sick, until they tried to feed me for the first time. I was only able to eat a few bites, and that seemed to be enough.

I went into surgery around 9:15 I woke up after I had been in recovery for 40 minutes. (Surgery was 2 hours and 3 minutes). I looked down and saw a bag with an accordion white tube. I asked what it was, they said my throat closed up and they had to push air into me. I asked if that was normal, they said it wasn't atypical, but that it also wasn't normal. I got to my room by 12:30. the morphine kept me wide awake, I said I think it has the opposite effect on me. They gave me a vicaprofen and I was zonked out, until my bosses showed up, and my oldest brother called.
I checked out today after 2, I can't wait to jump in the shower. The good news is I only have to wear the neck brace for two weeks. I can move my neck up and down, side to side. My worst pain right now is my throat. It hurts to swallow, and eat. Feels like I have a lump inside on the right side.
Thank you everyone for your prayers, and kind words you have given me.
7 comments:
Yeah! I am glad that everything went so good, and hope that you will start feeling better very soon. If you need anything please let me know. I would love to help any way possible. Also I think you look totally hot in iodine. It is a really good look for you. If anyone can work it, you can! "That's Hot"
Hurray!!! I'm glad things went well and that you are doing ok! Don't be in too big a rush to get going. I hear day 3 is often a bummer, so take it easy.
Where is the pic of the dog cone? I was waiting for it. :(
JK. I am so glad you are doing better and that the surgery went well. Take it easy and relax a few days.
I am so glad things went well. If you need anything I'm not too far away and I am always home. It's always a nice to take it easy for a little while.
Oh, the agony of waking up to pain and strange realizations...(yes, I have a story for you!) I'm so glad that your surgery was successful and that your neck prognosis is looking bright. Enjoy your lazy recovery days if you can! Our prayers are with you.
Thanks everyone..I wish I knew about day three. My throat has been the thing that has hurt the most. Swallowing, drinking, getting up etc.
I am being very lazy, my Mom and sister have been great nurses. Thank you all for your concern.
I can't wait to hear your story Jana.
You totally pull off the neck brace! :o)
Post a Comment