December 3rd..I'm starting to wonder about this date. On this date one year ago, I was suffering with what I thought was a bad UTI, that turned out to be a kidney stone..sending me to the hospital to get a CT scan. I guess it was only fitting that one year (to the day), that I was once again at the local hospital.My appointment with the Neurosurgeon was scheduled initially for five..isn't that quitting time? They called and told me to come at 3:15. I the patient arrived on time. I checked in and pulled out my book. My head was pounding something fierce, so I didn't get much reading in. I figured it couldn't be that long of a wait..right?
4:35 they call my name..YIPPEE..I grabbed all of my stuff and walked back, only to be told they were only getting my blood pressure etc. It was like having a balloon deflate. I went back to the lobby and preceeded to wait..and wait. Finally at 5:00 they called me back..this time I cautiously gathered my stuff, fearing it could be a trick..they might need to draw blood.
I was shown to the room..it was FREEZING..I don't think they got the memo, it's December.
I dutifully sat on the bed for 5 minutes..10 minutes..finally I thought, I'm going to go sit in the chair by my coat and warm up. The doctor showed up at 5:30. (much closer to my original time given). I walked out of the Dr.'s office at 6:05. I had about six text messages, and three missed calls..after all my appointment was for 3:15..I should have been home by now.
He ran through the Q's with me. Pulled out my MRI films and proceeded to show me that discs four, five, and yes..six are herniated, and bulging. He thinks I also have Myelopathy That by the time you get to disc six there is hardly any spinal fluid. I said so basically you are saying I'm a "mess?" He also pointed out some tears in my muscle. He recommends surgery. He isn't sure how I've managed to wear out my discs at such a tender young age.
So yes, on January 8th yours truly will be having her neck sliced open. Her windpipe moved out of the way, and bone scraped, donor bone put in, discs fused, and a titanium plate and screws inserted into her neck. He thinks by doing all of this, it will significantly reduce (or eliminate) the amount of pain I'm currently in. (I rate it at an 8.5). Did I mention I get to wear a "cone" on my neck for two weeks? Jealous?
If I don't have surgery..he said there is the potential I could be paralyzed..if I say fall off a ladder and land on my head..get in a car accident and get whiplash. But there is also a 1 in 1000 chance I could end up paralyzed after surgery. YIKES!! I'm feeling a lot like Humpty Dumpty.
Photo by:abbietabbie
11 comments:
Maybe you'll have some cool scars that you can show off to us after what you've undergone. I think it's all that heavy lifting you do-overexerting yourself. Maybe you better stop driving now. I've seen your road-rage.
Ok, so a CONE? Like Dogs wear so they won't lick themselves? Really? Is he a dog surgeon?
I am sorry to hear all of this. I do want a pic of you and the cone posted on the blog.
Let me know if I can help at all.
It's a neck brace, but cone sounded so much better. He better not be a dog surgeon, he holds the fate of me walking again in his hands..
I am so sorry to hear everything you have going on. That is crazy! A cone doesn't sound too fun to have to wear. I'm sorry, let me know if there is anything I can do and I would LOVE to bring your a meal in January when you have your surgery.
I am so sorry that you have to have major surgery at such a young age. You will be in our thoughts and prayers sista!
Amy that is awful!! I guess since you had to wait weeks on end to even see the guy, it is only fitting that he kept you waiting even longer in the waiting room!! You might want to show up on the
9th for your surgery!! That operation sounds completely heinous! I'm so sorry you have to go through this...how scary. Tell me how I can help!
WHAT????!!!!!
SURGERY?????!!!!
that sucks Amy. I hope you have a successful and uneventful surgery as well as a speedy recovery! Good luck!
You didn't tell me you had to wear a cone for 2 weeks!?! Is it so your don't sniff yourself? ;) Oh ha...I just read the other comments. But I'm still going to keep mine. :)
He did mention dogs when he was telling me I had to wear it for two weeks. I believe I have to wear it to keep my neck stable. I've already warned the boys in the office, not to slap me on the back. I will post pictures..if i'm not looking too scary.
I'm worried this means no more roller coasters, water skiing, and anything else that is fun.
Post a Comment