Monday, October 27, 2008

the MRI...


The MRI Machine
Originally uploaded by Sagolla

So this past Friday the 24th I had an MRI. I was surprised it was scheduled so quickly. I went into the doctor that Wednesday morning. The machine looked something like this..although I was told it resembled a coffin from the inside. (Coffin's freak me out). I had had an MRI previously on my knee, but I went in feet first and my head thankfully wasn't in the "coffin". She put a plastic thing on my neck, earplugs in my ears, and a blanket to keep me warm. The tech had me close my eyes as I started to go in, I decided to keep them closed for fear of freaking out. I didn't want to need to have a valium shot. I had to hold still for 30 seconds, not a big deal, then 5 minutes, and 6 minutes etc. The last one I had to hold still for 1 1/2 minutes, I told her that felt longer than the 6 minute one. I was in there for about a half hour.
After I had the MRI I started to convince myself that I just wasted a lot of money, because there is nothing wrong with me. I went because my arms were tingling, and with shooting pain down my arms, and pain in my neck. It might have been the cookies my body thought I was going to consume, after I finished making them.

I received a call at lunch today with the results. Isn't modern technology amazingly fast? I have disc disease in my neck that is protruding into my spine. Yikes..I still don't know what that means. I do have an appointment set up with a neurosurgeon in December. I think there is something in Doctor's law that you have to wait an absurd amount of time before they will see you. So that is my big news for the month of October. I'm sure disc disease translates into.."You are getting old". The drawback to all of this..I can't lift weights. So when I go to the gym early in the morning it's torture. I have to sit and ride a bike while waiting for my spin class to start.

The MRI Machine Originally uploaded by Sagolla

5 comments:

Shem said...

OMG. I would die waiting. I am sure it will be fine, but the waiting would be the worst.

P.S. Why didn't you tell me you had an MRI?

the lunch lady said...

what?????????

bone disease?????????

I'm with Shem. Way to keep quiet. That's not how things roll in YW -- we blab everything . . . I tell you all about my PMS, after all.

Amy said...

i lied..it is disc disease. so not nearly as serious. :) I didn't say anything in case it turned out to be nothing. Didn't want the masses to know i was a hypochondriac.

Janean said...

Holy Cow, you did good. I would not be able to handle an MRI. I think I would freak out they would have to sedate me for sure. I hope everything turns out okay - I hate it when they make you wait forever. They just want you to be in pain a little longer - it sucks. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you finally have some answers. Hopefully your next appt. will answer more. You are in my thoughts and prayers.